The Education Centre is located on the Mountrath Road. If coming from Dublin, take a right turn at the traffic lights in Abbeyleix and we are located about 200 yards away on the left hand side. If coming from Cork, take a left turn at the traffic lights in Abbeyleix.
- There are no tuition fees payable to the Centre by EU Nationals attending a full-time course. However, students should budget for the cost of examinations, textbooks and materials. Non-EU Nationals who do not meet the exemption requirements are liable for the full tuition fee as per the instructions of the Department of Education and Skills.
- Department of Education and Skills PLC Contribution Fee of €200 is payable on registration. This is a fee introduced by the government in the 2011 budget. Medical Card holders, those in receipt of a student grant, Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) or Vocational Training Scheme (VTOS) allowances are exempt from this fee.
- Centre registration fee of €100 payable on registration.
- Transport: PLC Students pay €55 per month to use the bus service. This fee is subject to change for 2013/2014.
- There is a FETAC Certification Fee of €50 payable on registration. Medical Card holders and/or social welfare recipients are exempt from this fee.
Further Education Grants
Students attending full-time approved PLC courses for the 2013/2014 academic year are eligible to apply for a maintenance grant. The maintenance grant is a means tested grant. The grant is payable monthly. A new ONLINE ONLY student grant application system is being introduced for the 2013/2014 academic year. All NEW applications will be made online to a single awarding authority, SUSI (Student Universal Support Ireland), a unit of City of Dublin VEC, through www.studentfinance.ie.
Students who are currently in receipt of a student grant and who are progressing to the next year of the same course will continue to be assessed and paid by their existing awarding authorities – i.e. the relevant local authority or Vocational Educational Committee. If you are changing your course or progressing to a new course you will need to apply through the SUSI online system.
Full Time Class Hours
Monday – Thursday 9:00am – 3:30pm
Friday 9:00am – 1:00pm
FETAC and Quality Assurance
Abbeyleix Further Education Centre is registered with FETAC to offer programmes leading to FETAC awards on the National Framework of Qualifications and has agreed its quality assurance procedures with FETAC.